Steps To Achieve Certification & Examination Requirements
- Any person desiring to become a cosmetologist (student) must make an application to the Executive Director prior to the commencement date. Hours of training will not be accumulated until the student has been pre-approved.
- A student shall have completed grade12 with a diploma and be 18 years of age at the completion of their training. Mature students must be 21 years of age and have no less than grade 10 education with proof.
- Upon approval from the Executive Director the student may commence training. All students must be registered with the Association.
- All training must take place under the direct supervision of a licensed instructor in a licensed school. Student capacity is 18 per instructor. All instructors must hold a valid certified instructor license at a Level I, upgraded instructors hold a Level II license. Hours achieved under an instructor who is not valid will not be accepted.
- Students will be asked to sign a contract with the school prior to the commencement of training.
- All schools must register each student and payment of fees must be submitted 30 days after enrollment.
- Students must complete the prescribed number of clients required.
Please note: The CANB does not accept ONLINE training, please see section 7.2 and 19.2 in our Act.
7(2) Any person who is enrolled as a student at an approved cosmetology school and who is duly registered as a student with the Association may perform the tasks, duties and functions constituting part of the course of study, subject to any terms, conditions or limitations as may be prescribed by the by-laws.
19(2)Before submitting to an examination held pursuant to this Act, a student shall provide evidence satisfactory to the Committee that the student has been trained as a student in cosmetology, in a registered school, for the number of hours prescribed in the by-laws for theory and practical instruction under the supervision of a licensed cosmetology instructor.